Social Icons facebook Twitter YouTube Kanal Instagram

Registration Office

If you stay longer then three months in Germany, the Residents' Registration Office in the New Town Hall should be your first destination. It is important to register within a statutory time period. The law allows you only 7 days to do this.

In Germany everybody (including all Germans) is obliged to register. This means that everybody living in the country has to register at the Einwohnermeldeamt and report where she or he is living. Failure to do this may result in a fine.

In order to register, you need a place of residence or an address where you can be contacted and registered. All you have ot do is to bring your valid passport or identity card. The same applies to family members travelling with you (spouses, children).

If you move home within Bielefeld, you have to report this to the Einwohnermeldeamt. The form can be obtained from the Einwohnermeldeamt or downloaded here from the Internet. If you move within Germany, you have to go to the Einwohnermeldeamt of your new place of residence and register your new address.

If you are leaving Germany, you must give notice of your departure. You can get the necessary form from the Einwohnermeldeamt or download it here from the Internet.

At the present time (2012), all of these procedures are free of charge.

If you will be employed at Bielefeld University, the Registration Office is also the place to apply for a Certificate of Good Conduct. The Certificate of Good Conduct costs 13 Euro und will be sent directly to the human resources office of Bielefeld University within 3-4 weeks after the request.

First Steps in Bielefeld


Service Desk
Monday til Friday:
Room: C5-133

personensuche-IconOur team
Welcome Centre Flyer

International Academics
at Bielefeld University
on -> Facebook