Preparations at home
If you have questions on application, admission and enrolment please contact the Student Office. They are glad to assist you.
For answers to frequently asked questions about financial issues before and during your stay in Germany please click here.
Foreign students who wish to stay in Germany for more than three months generally must obtain a visa. Exempted are citizens of EU Member States, EFTA countries or states that have entered a bilateral agreement with the Federal Republic of Germany.
If you are looking for accommodation in Bielefeld, you may apply for a room in a student residence, but please note that there might be a waiting list and waiting periods of 1 or 2 semesters. Therefore we recommend looking for private accommodation as soon as possible.
Register as a citizen of Bielefeld as soon as you have an address in Bielefeld. Registration takes place in the 'Rathaus'.More information
You have to apply for your residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office as soon as you arrive in Bielefeld. Exempted from visa requirement are citizens of EU Member States, EFTA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland) or states that have entered a bilateral agreement with the Federal Republic of Germany, e.g. Honduras, Monaco, San Marino, United States of America, Australia, South Korea).More information
A German bank account is necessary in order to pay your health insurance, your semester fee and the rent. To open a bank account you usually need:
- Your Passport and visa documents
- Your letter of admission and your student ticket (if you already have it)
- Your address in Germany
For further information
It is mandatory to have a health insurance policy in order to be enrolled at Bielefeld University.
You have received the admission to study at Bielefeld University. This means that you have a university place for the subject you have applied for. If you accept the university place, it is necessary to go to the Student Office (Studierendensekretariat) to register/enrol.More information.
The social fee of currently (Summer Term 2019 = 292,10 euros) has to be transferred to the University immediately after the enrolment.More information.
There are two very important introduction events for you where you get detailed information on your studies.
- Dates of the introduction events at the respective faculties are announced on the website of the Student Advising and Counselling Service (ZSB).
- Please note that some of the faculties offer their orientation events already some days before the lecture period starts. For some subjects preparatory classes are offered.
They usually take place in the semester break.
- The introduction event programme offered by the International Office can be found in the download section. To register for the introduction event organized by the International Office, please send an e-mail to the International Student Services Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
These and further relevant information can be found in our Download-Center.
Do you have any questions?
We can help.
| Our team
Download important documents, brochures and event programmes for degree-seeking students
Click here to find the events for international students.
Here you find all the information for international students.
Here you will find the Scholarship for International Students in English-Language Master Programmes at Bielefeld University.