Please keep the following in mind:
Bielefeld University does not provide students with flats/rooms (ERASMUS students and students coming with the university-cooperation are exceptions). Students must search for accommodation on theirs own There are two possibilities for finding accommodation. These are they:
- To apply with Studentenwerk for a room in students' dormitories, or to apply at private dormitories, see links below. Studentenwerk is an association that provides universities with social service.
- To search a private flat or a room (possibly together with other students - flatsharing), see information below.
As soon as you have got the approval for your studies you can apply for a room at the Studentenwerk. For this you can send the filled, signed and scanned application to the Studentenwerk, too. So international students also have the possibility to apply for a room from abroad.
- More information on student accommodation can be found here
- Application form for student accommodation
Both single apartments as well as rooms in flat-shares with other students are offered. In most cases the rooms are offered by private landlords. The rent for a room in Bielefeld amounts to about 180 to 300€ per month.
Private room offers can be found here.
Or on the other Online-Portals
- Flat ads in the university
A multitude of different flat offers in various price categories can be found in the university hall and on floor 1, the so-called gallery.
The local newspapers 'Neue Westfälische' and 'Westfalenblatt' provide many rent offers, especially in the Saturday edition.
Neue Westfälische: Homepage; Tel: 0521-555-0
Westfalenblatt: Homepage; Tel: 0521-585-0
In case you have not found a room before coming to Bielefeld, please book a room in students' hostel from abroad in order to have time for further search in the city. This may take some time.