Social Icons facebook Twitter YouTube Kanal Instagram

Registration at the Town Hall ("Rathaus")

Register at the city's registration office

  • You have to register as a citizen of Bielefeld as soon as you have an address in Bielefeld. Registration takes place in the "Rathaus" and you need to bring your rental contract and your passport. Please find the address below.
  • If you have a mentor, it might be a good idea to ask him/her whether they can accompany you to the "Rathaus".

Residence permit (only for students who require a visa)

  • About 2 days after you have registered, you can apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners? Registration Office in the "Rathaus"

      Please take the following documents with you:
    • The letter of admission from Bielefeld University
    • Proof of sufficient financial resources

      You need to prove that you will have an amount of around 659€ per month at your disposal. You can use a confirmation of your bank or a document in which your parents declare to finance your life in Germany. If somebody who lives in Germany will finance your studies, this person must prove that he/she has the means to do so.

    • Evidence of the education in your home country (certificates)
    • Your passport (and visa documents)

The address of the Foreigners' Registration Office:
Bürgerberatung / Abteilung Ausländerangelegenheiten
Niederwall 23
33602 Bielefeld


Do you have any questions?
We can help.
personensuche-Icon Our team


Important documents, brochures and event programs for Erasmus and other cooperation students
-> to download.