--------ENGLISH VERSION IS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION!-----------------
Questions on registration:
- Who can take part in the University Sports Programme?
- How much does it cost to participate in the HSP (University Sports Programme)?
- How does the online application work?
- Why do I have to register for free courses?
- What if I am unable to register online for a particular sport?
- Is the online registration for a sport course secure?
- I have lost my confirmation of registration or have forgotten to print it out.
- How does the waiting list work?
- Why is it necessary to give my Email address?
- Is there a limit on the number of participants?
Questions on course procedure:
- What happens if a course does not have the minimum number of participants?
- Am I insured in case of injury in the University Sports Programme?
- What happens if a course lesson has to be cancelled?
Questions on cancelling your course place/transferring your course place:
- I have already booked a place on a course but wish to cancel it, what now?
- Can I transfer my registration to another person?
- Is it possible to change courses?
Questions on courses requiring payment:
- What happens if there are insufficient funds in my bank account for a direct debit?
- What does SEPA direct debit mean?
Questions on sports facilities and equipment:
- How do I gain access to the sports facilities?
- Which sporting facilities are available for own free use for games, practice and training?
- What do the terms UNI I-III, UNI-Gym, LOK etc. mean?
- Why am I unable to gain entry to the sports area with my Uni-card/FH card or Mensa card?
- Can I book sports facilities that are not in use?
- Can sports equipment be borrowed?
- What are occasional students?
- Are there courses available during the semester break?
- Where can I find the University Sports Programme in printed form?
- What else is there to consider?
- Who can answer questions on the fitness and heath centre UniFit?
If you don't find the information you require here then please contact the office of the University Sports Service Bielefeld by Email, telephone or in person.
As a general rule, only members and personnel of Bielefeld University and the Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences are allowed to take part in the University Sports Programme (students, staff, trainees).
For third parties (externs), there is still the possibility to participate in the Sports Programme through an occasional student sports membership. This membership costs around 100.00 Euros per semester. Further information is available from the office of the University Sport Service Bielefeld and the Studierendensekretariat (Student Office) at Bielefeld University (Ms Schmidt-Lentzen, Tel: +49 (0)521 106 3411, Email: email@example.com). Please hand in your application forms at the Studierendensekretariat (Student Office) to Ms Schmidt-Lenzen, room DO-102.
Fees vary, depending on what you wish to do and whether you are a student of Bielefeld University, a staff member of Bielefeld University / Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences or a third party (extern).
As the main target group, students (and those enrolled in traineeships) of Bielefeld University and the Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences can take part in many of the University Sports courses free of charge.
If the sport is expensive to fund then the costs are to be covered by a fee payable through an online application.
Staff or third parties (externs) must pay in advance a fee for the semester for general access to University Sports. Staff pay a fee of 15.00 Euros per semester (coded on to the Mensa (university refectory) chip card at the Mensa Pavilion), occasional student sports members pay a fee of around 100.00 Euros per semester and can participate in the free sports courses on offer just like the students of Bielefeld University and the Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences without incurring any further charges.
Students at Bielefeld University/FH Bielefeld
Staff of Bielefeld University/FH/STW
Trainees at Bielefeld University
Oberstufenkolleg (High School College) students
Retirees of Bielefeld University / STW
100,00 Euros with occasional student sport membership
You can only apply to University Sports courses online. It is possible to sign up during the break before the start of the semester. For exact information on start times please consult the homepage or other publications of the University Sports Service Bielefeld.
For every sports course (with limited participants and fee paying sports activities) it is necessary to make a separate application with direct debit authorisation.
Staff or third parties (externs) must pay a fee in advance for the semester for general access to University Sports. Staff pay a fee of 15.00 Euros per semester (coded on to the Mensa (university refectory) chip card at the Mensa Pavilion), occasional student sports members pay a fee of around 100.00 Euros per semester and can participate in the free sports courses on offer just like the students of Bielefeld University and the University of Applied Sciences Bielefeld without incurring any further charges.
In order to book a course online, apart from meeting the general eligibility criteria you need to have a printer connected to your computer, an Email address, authorise us to make a direct debit from your bank account if participating in a fee paying course and have Adobe Reader or another pdf-viewer on your computer system.
How to make an online application:
- You choose a course from the sports activities on offer and click on "buchen" (book).
- Fill out the registration form with your details on your PC. You must include your first name and surname, matriculation number or University telephone number if you are a member of staff. We need your Email address to confirm your registration. We also require your address (street, postcode and town) in the case of written correspondence and for the purpose of direct debit. To book courses subject to fees we also need your bank account number and sort code of the bank account to be debited. On the page that follows, you will be asked to check your details thoroughly before submitting.
- You can then click to confirm booking. Your data will be encrypted before it is sent to us.
- We will send you a personal booking confirmation by Email that you have to print out. Cut out the bordered ticket and have it ready to show at the entrance. Your name will appear on the list of participants which the trainer will receive at the start of the course.
- Payment is made by authorising direct debit from your bank on the online booking system of Bielefeld University.
If there is no possibility to register for a course on the Internet, or if you do not wish to do so, then you can register at the office of the University Sports Service Bielefeld. It is only possible to register in person when online registration begins and within the opening hours of the office of the University Sport Service Bielefeld.
To register in person you will need your identity card (student identity card, staff identity card or employment card and occasional student card) as well as your bank details in order to authorise a direct debit. Under special circumstances, an application can be made by a representative or proxy. The representative may only register one other person and must also submit a copy of his or her own identity card.
Your data will be transferred securely (SSL - Secure Socket Layer) via the online application. This encryption technology enables a secure transfer of data between your web browser and the booking system of the University Sports Service Bielefeld.
Access to the sports facilities in the swimming pool (UNI Bad) and the multi-purpose sports hall (UNI I-III) is regulated through an entry control system. The Mensa (German word for refectory) electronic chip card serves as a "key" to access the sports facilities and is needed by all users. The team from the University Sports Service Bielefeld will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Yes. Some courses have limited numbers of participants and because of popular demand and non-extendable capacity may not be available. Access to the courses is regulated through the online booking system.
If there are not enough participants then the course will be cancelled or combined with another course. Exceptions to this may be authorised by the management of the Department of University Sports (BE HSP).
Persons who would like to attend courses but are not officially enrolled as a regular student may gain access as an occasional student within the framework of study opportunities on offer. The decision of whether or not to accept occasional students is at the discretion of the course leader. Occasional students are not permitted to sit examinations; they are only permitted a certificate of attendance.
Third parties (external to the University) who take part in the University Sport Programme for a semester (including the break) or who wish to use the sports facilities have to make an application to the Studierendensekretariat (Student Office) for admittance as an occasional student. The application form for occasional students (in German) is available as a pdf-file to download. To be admitted as an occasional student a fee of 100.00 Euros is payable per semester.
For further information, please contact the University Sports Service Bielefeld and the Studierendensekretariat (Student Office) of Bielefeld University (Ms Schmidt Lenzen, Tel: +49 (0)521 1063411, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Please hand in your application forms at the Studierendensekretariat (Student Office) to Ms Schmidt-Lenzen, room DO-102.
Any banking fees incurred as a result of returned payment due to insufficient funds will be added to the total sum of the course fee (minimum 3.00 Euros).
Please note: The fees for returning payment as well as any fines incurred are to be paid in addition to the owed course fees. Because of this, we would ask you to please check your application carefully.
After you have registered you will automatically receive confirmation of registration by Email, containing all necessary information. Do not worry if you have mislaid it. You are still registered. As a precaution we advise you save the HTML page on to your computer. In addition, you can request a letter of confirmation at the office of the University Sports Service Bielefeld, or ask to be sent confirmation by Email.
When you put your name on a waiting list of a fully booked course you will be informed by Email if a place becomes available. People on the waiting list will be informed simultaneously and therefore it is advised to register online for the course as soon as possible.
We require your email address so that we can inform you quickly in the case of a place becoming available, of additional course offers, course changes, cancellations etc.
Please note: Please supply a valid email address and make sure it is correctly spelt.
As a rule, you are not entitled to reimbursements of fees!
As a general rule, you are not entitled to claim a refund. However, in special circumstances (e.g. through injury, course cancellation) you can claim a refund if you present supporting documents (e.g. doctor?s note) within the first two weeks after the programme has started.
In this case, please contact the office of the University Sports Service Bielefeld.
Yes. During the semester break we offer a reduced University Sports Programme. Information is available online shortly before the end of the semester on current course changes and additional courses. To participate in courses during the semester break it is necessary to enrol again online.
As long as they take part in an official University Sports course run by an appointed trainer, all students of Bielefeld University are covered by statutory insurance through their university.
All other participants are strongly recommended to insure themselves against accident/insurance and liability. Civil servants need to organise their insurance themselves.
An overview of the sports facilities and venues can be found here.
You can find the University Sports brochure in the office of the University Sports Service Bielefeld (Room EO-146), in the main University building (e.g. in front of our notice boards at the swimming pool (UNI-BAD)), the multi-purpose sports hall (UNI I_III) and in front of the Mensa (university refectory), at the Info Point at UHG (University Main Building) and at various other locations.
We make every effort to find a substitute. If we are not able to find one then we try to inform the participants of the cancellation as soon as possible by Email and on the Internet.
If there are not enough participants to fulfil the minimum number required to run the course it will be cancelled or combined with another course. Participants are not entitled to demand that a course takes place.
Exceptions to this may be authorised by the Management of the Department of University Sports (BE HSP).
It is only possible to change fee-paying courses if you speak to the responsible trainer. You are not automatically entitled to a place on a new course. A change in booking can only be processed in the office of the University Sports Service Bielefeld.
It is not allowed to transfer your registration to another person.
In the framework of a SOG (a self organised group) you may use sporting facilities that are not occupied. Only members and affiliates of Bielefeld University and the Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences (students, staff, trainees) have the right to use the sports facilities. Please note that use of sporting facilities outside of the official University Sports Programme is at your own risk, as it is not covered by the statutory accident insurance!
Information on available sporting facilities is available around 14 days before the change from the semester to the semester break (or the other way round). An application must be submitted detailing the sports facility requested, the preferred time, the type of sport as well as participants. The application form as well as the information on free sporting facilities is available from the office of the University Sports Service Bielefeld (Room EO-146) or available as a download on the homepage of University Sports.
Only members and affiliates of Bielefeld University and Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences (students, staff, trainees) have the right to use the sports facilities. Please note that use of sporting facilities outside of the official University Sports Programme is at your own risk, as it is not covered by the statutory accident insurance!
The Finnbahn (natural running track) located above Morgenbreede is available for independent training. Shower and changing facilities are available in the area of the University sports hall.
Hartplatz (Hard Court)
In good weather, self-organised games are allowed when the court is not being used by the Department of Sport Sciences or the Department of University Sports (BE HSP) (please see timetable)).
Beach Volleyball Court/Tennis Court
If weather conditions allow, the two sandy beach volleyball courts and two hard surface tennis courts can be used in the summer semester for beach volleyball or tennis free of charge.
Reservations can be made from Mon-Fri for the following week for 1 hr/week by contacting the sports hall caretakers (PO1 sports hall area).
For other ways in which the hall may be used, please see notices outside the PO1 area.
The University grass pitch is only to be used for courses from the Department of Sports Sciences and the Department of University Sports (BE HSP), and may be used for running practice by individuals (as long as it doesn't affect the events taking place there).
No bats or balls can be provided for teacher-led groups and self-organised groups in table tennis or badminton.
One ball will be available per court/pitch for self-organised groups in basketball, football, handball and volley.
You can borrow sports equipment from the sports caretakers if you leave your identity card (student card or identity card/passport) with the caretaker.
In order that the same problems do not reoccur, we would like to point out to those wishing to take part in University Sports:
- Please have your identity card and semester/subscriber card ready, as proof of eligibility.
- Please start and end courses punctually (all events begin on the hour).
- You can only enter the sports hall at the start of the sporting activity.
- You may only use the sports hall with clean training shoes that have not been worn outside.
- Practice in the sports hall area must end at 10pm and showers and changing rooms must be vacated by 10.15pm on workdays.
- Gymnastic mats must be protected from body perspiration by a towel.
- It is required to bring a towel for fitness, condition and aerobics courses.
- Please do not leave valuables in the changing room.
- Please follow the instructions of the course trainers and the sports caretakers.
- Please adhere to the regulations of use in order to ensure that the sports activities run smoothly (please refer to notices in PO1 sports area).
For questions concerning the fitness and health centre UniFit please contact the managing director of Unifit, Mr Marc Samson-Baudisch, tel: +49 (0)521 106 6114 in room P1-201 or in the service area of UniFit (tel +49 (0)521 106 2547). Further information at:
1 Also counting as staff: employers of the Studentenwerk (Association for Student Affairs) staff of BLB NRW Bielefeld and teaching staff of school projects. In addition, the members of the Alumni Association of Bielefeld University have the possibility to take part in the University Sports Programme, as long as a "Semesterkarte" (Semester ticket) is purchased.