Monika Büscher, Dr.
I am Senior lecturer in the Centre for Mobilities Research at the Department of Sociology at Lancaster University and Director of the mobilities.lab, where my colleagues and I carry out experimental sociological research into socio-technical change, using mobile methods. This means we work with practitioners, members of the public, designers and policy-makers on opportunities and challenges in areas such as transport, communication, and security. We engage stakeholders and interdisciplinary teams of researchers in a collaborative research process. I am particularly interested in how ways of being human, everyday social practices and social and political relationships change in interaction with new technologies, such as mobile phones, locative media, databases and geographical positioning systems (GPS). My approach is ethnomethodological, ethnographic, and experimental, and often part of socio-technical innovation projects.
- Everyday practices of perception, communication and collaboration
- Ethnomethodology, Science and Technology Studies, Mobilities Research
- Theory and practice of socio-technical innovation, citizen science and 'collective experimentation
- Crises and crisis response
- Mobile and social technologies, open source culture, e-democracy, digital economy
Relevant Research Projects
Bridge: Bridging resources and agencies in large-scale emergency. EU FP7 SEC-2010.4.2-1 Theme: Interoperability of data, systems, tools and equipment
Selected Relevant Publications
- Büscher, M., Urry, J., Witchger, K. (Eds.) (2011) Mobile Methods. London: Routledge.
- Bærenholdt, J.O., Büscher, M., Damm Scheuer, J., Simonsen, J. (Eds.) (2010) Design research. Synergies from interdisciplinary perspectives. London: Routledge.
- Büscher, M., Goodwin, D. and Mesman, J. (Eds.) (2009) Ethnographies of diagnostic work. Perspectives on transformative practice. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Büscher M., O'Neill J, Rooksby J (2009) Designing for Diagnosing: Introduction to the Special Issue on Diagnostic Work. Journal of Computer Supported Cooperative Work Vol.18: 109-28.
- Sangiorgi, D., Hemment, D. and Büscher, M. (2008) Everyday imagination, practices, systems: Designing with people for systemic change. In Conference Proceedings of Changing the change: An international conference on the role and potential of design research in the transition towards sustainability, Torino, 10th - 11th - 12th July 2008.
- Büscher M., Kristensen, M., Mogensen, P. (2008). Making the future palpable: Notes from a major incident Future Laboratory. International Journal of Emergency Management, Vol 5(1-2), pp. 145 - 163.
- Büscher M., Kristensen, M. and Mogensen, P. (2008) When and how (not) to trust IT? Supporting virtual emergency teamwork. International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, Vol 1(2): 1-15.
- Büscher M. (2007) Interaction in motion: Embodied conduct in emergency teamwork. In: Mondada L. Proceedings of the 2nd International Society for Gesture Studies Conference 'Interacting Bodies', 15-18 June 2005, Lyon, France. [accessed 23 March 2010].