Replacement building for Experimental Physics
Extra-thick ceilings and floors, enough space for large apparatus and no daylight in the laboratories: the sensitive measuring equipment used by Bielefeld's Experimental Physic's Department makes big demands on a building, which will be met by a new replacement building on Morgenbreede. Its construction has been made necessary by the upcoming modernisation of the main university building. As expert reports have testified, some of the experimental physics will be unable to continue operating in the main building during that time, as the vibrations and noise occurring during building work would significantly impair the scientific measurements.
The area next to the Behavioural Research Building on Morgenbreede has been earmarked as the construction site. The jogging ("Finnbahn") has been rerouted to accommodate it. The new building has an approved main effective area of 1,293 m². Laboratories will cover 1,096 m² of that area. Associate offices will be housed in the adjoining Behavioural Research Building.
The total cost of 12.2 million Euros will be jointly borne by the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, Bau-und Liegenschaftsbetrieb NRW (BLB NRW) and the University.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityA projected view of the new building for Experimental Physics.
- Photo: Bielefeld University4 July 2013: Heinrich Micus, Prof. Dr. Andreas Hütten, Dr. Martin Chaumet and Hans-Jürgen Simm (from left) sink the capsule with the certificate in the foundation block.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityAugust 2013: Construction work proceeds.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityMarch 2014: The shell construction just before completion.
- Photo: Bielefeld University9 April 2015: Topping out ceremony for the Experimental Physics building.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityApril 2015: The building is taking shape.
- Photo: Michael KohlsSeptember 2015: The new Replacement Building for Experimental Physics is close to completion.
History (in German)
Data and facts
|Building commencement||May 2013|
|Laying of Foundation Stone||4 July 2013|
|Topping out ceremony||9 April 2014|
|Building contractor||BLB NRW Bielefeld|
|General planning||Carpus + Partner AG, Aachen|
|Planned costs||around 12.2 million Euros|