Mobility grants for research trips abroad
The Graduate School awards grants for research trips abroad. BGHS doctoral researchers could apply for a mobility grant for a few months to help finance research at a foreign university or at a research institute outside the university system to further their doctoral project and build lasting contacts to international researchers.
Mobility grants are awarded for periods from three to six months. Shorter trips are not possible. In well-founded cases, the standard time to degree of three years may be extended for the period of the trip abroad.
Doctoral students who do not receive a doctoral scholarship by the BGHS can apply for a three to six months mobility grant. This grant contains a monthly payment of EUR 1,200. Doctoral students with a doctoral scholarship by the BGHS can apply for a three to six months increase of their doctoral scholarship according to German Research Foundation (DFG) rules.
Application deadlines are 15 January and 15 June.
The following documents must be submitted to the BGHS office - no later than two months before the departure - upon application:
- Covering letter of 400 to 800 words (highlighting in particular opportunities for networking at the foreign institution as opposed to a research/archive trip alone)
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement by your primary supervisor
- Invitation from a researcher at the foreign university or research institute
- Detailed work schedule and time frame for the duration of the trip (in concurrence with the person extending the invitation)
- Confirmation by the host institute that a work station and computer will be available for the duration of your stay
- Cost calculation (travel costs, registration fee if applicable, health insurance, etc.)
The complete set of application documents may be submitted to the BGHS office at any time email@example.com The BGHS Executive Board will approve mobility grants based on budget availability.