Currently, the BGHS has no openings for doctoral positions. Presumably, in fall of 2013, we will award doctoral positions again.
Information on the current application process
The process of selecting doctoral researchers is geared towards creating a diverse community, particularly as regards gender and internationality. The selection process is partially anonymised and follows structured, clearly defined stages:
- The BGHS Office checks whether applications meet all formal criteria.
- Faculty members of the affiliated departments review the content of the anonymised project descriptions according to uniform criteria.
- On the basis of their expert evaluations, an interdisciplinary committee chooses qualified candidates for a personal interview.
- Candidates are interviewed by an interdisciplinary committee and finally,
- this committee chooses on candidates to fill the positions.
Dates and deadlines
|28 October 2012||Deadline for applications|
|10 January 2013||Invitations to personal interviews are sent out|
|04 to 06 February 2013||Personal interviews|
|15 February 2013||Candidates informed about the results of the application process|
|01 April 2013||BGHS doctoral positions begin|
Degree programme with international character
Education: Our degree programme includes not only candidates' work on their own research, but also a structured curriculum that combines research-oriented courses with courses providing general qualification.
Supervision: Doctoral researchers and their supervisors sign a Supervision agreement to ensure regular, reliable supervision of all research projects.
Internationality: The diverse biographical, social, and cultural backgrounds of BGHS community members are an exceptional resource that enriches research and (international) cooperation. For this reason, the BGHS is making a concerted effort to increase the percentage of international doctoral researchers. BGHS degree programme courses are held either in German or in English. The BGHS also offers support for doctoral researchers' international networking.