The University looks back on an eventful year 2014. Some highlights in pictures.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityFebruary 2014: The recipients of the Dissertation Prize 2013 and the first to congratulate them. The Westfälisch-Lippische Universitätsgesellschaft (University Society) awarded the best doctoral theses, which all had the grade of "summa cum laude". All faculties were represented.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityMarch 2014: The Institute for Interdisciplinary Research on Conflict and Violence founded the Center for Football and Conflict, unique in Germany. The Centre?s team ? Andreas Zick (l.) and Martin Winands ? advises fan projects and football clubs to prevent and overcome conflict around the game.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityApril 2014: Topping out ceremony for the new building for experimental physics. The building, which has around 1,100 m2 of laboratory space, absorbs vibrations and sound emissions, so that scientific measurements can be carried out in experimental physics during the renovation of the main university building.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityJune 2014: Endowed chair on Family Businesses financed by 12 East Westphalian enterprises and institutions. In Photo: Thomas Niehoff and Ortwin Goldbeck from the IHK as well as Rektor Gerhard Sagerer and Professor Fred G. Becker (from left). In June, the University and Bethel signed a contract to create the endowed Chair for Epilepsy Research.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityJune 2014: Two important events in one month. The Minister for Science, Svenja Schulze, cuts the ribbon to officially open Gebäude X (Building X). Chancellor Hans-Jürgen Simm (l.) retires after 24 years at the University. Also in photo: Reginbert Taube (BLB NRW), the Mayor of Bielefeld, Pit Clausen, and Rektor Gerhard Sagerer.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityJuly 2014: The University is in mourning. Professor Hans-Ulrich Wehler, one of the most renowned historians of the present age, passed away at the age of 82 years in Bielefeld. Wehler was Professor at Bielefeld University from 1971 until his retirement in 1996.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityAugust 2014: The new Chancellor of Bielefeld University comes into office. Dr. Stephan Becker is the successor of Chancellor Hans-Jürgen Simm. Becker comes from Berlin, where he was Chancellor of the Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft (HTW) Berlin (University of Applied Sciences) for a period of six years.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityAugust 2014: On the occasion of Bielefeld?s 800 year anniversary, the Science Festival "Geniale" invites guest to attend research workshops, science shows and participatory events. Scientists of Bielefeld University explain, for instance, to children how they may apply findings from research on insects to robots.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityAugust 2014: An intelligent apartment that helps people to lead healthier and safer lives. That is the aim of the new innovation cluster KogniHome, funded by the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF). 14 organisations from Ostwestfalen-Lippe are collaborating on the project, led by the cluster of excellence CITEC. In Photo: CITEC Coordinator Professor Helge Ritter.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversitySeptember 2014: The innovative experimental schools Laborschule and Oberstufenkolleg at Bielefeld University celebrate their 40th anniversary with a conference and an open day. Since their foundation in 1974 (photo) the school-projects test and research new teaching methods and learning content.
- Photo: Bielefeld UniversityOctober 2014: The University was given five million Euros of funding to make sociologist Niklas Luhmann?s estate accessible to academia. The filing cards are a part of the estate. There are a vast number of the Bielefeld sociologist?s documents in the archive. Over the next 15 years, the project aims to edit and prepare Niklas Lumann?s documents for an Internet portal.
- Foto: Ralf LiteraDecember 2014: 4,600 guests celebrated Graduate Day in an illuminated Gebäude X (Building X). A further highlight: The guests were led by eight pages in an entertaining fashion as they walked the red carpet from the main university building to Gebäude X (Building X).