|Universität Bielefeld > Graduate and Postgraduate Researchers in Bielefeld > Allgemeine Informationen > Beratungsangebote|
Like all students, doctoral students or those wish to gain a doctorate are welcome at the Student Advising and Counselling (ZSB) service. The ZSB can give you advice on all formal and general questions about a potential doctorate such as
- How do I go about finding a supervisor?
- Should I accept or reject a proposal for a doctorate?
- When thinking about doing a doctorate, what do I need to take into account?
- What are the basic options when it comes to paying for it?
A great number of doctorates proceed smoothly and quickly. However, difficulties may well arise during the course of a doctoral thesis. These may be due to the mostly very complicated situation of doing academic work by oneself; working together with others in, for example, a Research Training Group or a Graduate School; or relations with one's supervisor. In addition, private and personal concerns or a very demanding academic staff position (e.g., an increasingly heavy teaching load) can block progress or become very stressful when combined with strenuous research work. The ZSB is there to provide advice and support when, for example, you have
- disagreements with your supervisor,
- tensions with your fellow doctoral students,
- personal or health-related problems that interfere with your work,
- no time for anything else but your doctoral thesis, and this has got to change,
- serious thoughts about abandoning your doctorate and you want to talk to an neutral person about this,
- or simply feel overwhelmed and subject to severe stress.
We, the ZSB counsellors, are there to discuss your concerns with you and help you find ways to solve them or cope with them. If necessary, we shall help you to find other types of support or to prepare yourself for resolving any conflicts with others. It goes without saying that counselling is not just absolutely confidential (and also anonymous if this is important to you) and free of charge, but that the outcome is always open-ended.Please find detailed contact information here.
Servicestelle für den wissenschaftlichen Nachwuchs
Dr. Alexandra Wiebke
montags 11:00 - 12:00 Uhr
mittwochs 15:00 - 16:00 Uhr