ZiF Research Group
Cognitive Behavior of Humans, Animals, and Machines:
Situation Model Perspectives
October 2019 – July 2020
Convenors: Werner Schneider (Bielefeld, GER), Helge Ritter (Bielefeld, GER)
Dr. Albrecht von Müller is the director of the Parmenides Center for the Study of Thinking and teaches philosophy at the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich (LMU). His two main fields of interest are the concept of time and the phenomenon of thinking. After a PhD dissertation on "Time and Logic" at the LMU in 1982, he spent many years working at the Max Planck Society and also teaching philosophy at the LMU. He established Parmenides Foundation in 2001 as a new interdisciplinary research center with the task of "studying the foundations and frontiers of human thinking". Dr. von Müller is an external member of the Human Science Center and the Munich Center for Neuroscience and served on the Board of Trustees of the Max Planck Institutes of Neurobiology and Biochemistry. Together with Ernst Pöppel, he edits the Springer book series On Thinking.
Current Main Research Interests
A better understanding of the basic structures and dynamics of complex thinking processes. Development of a modular visual reasoning language and other methods that allow to support the human brain in copying with complexity. New perspectives of artificial intelligence that transcends todays predominance of pure pattern recognition and implement also other fundamental cognitive operations of the human brain
Five selected publications with particular relevance to the Research Group
- von Müller, A. & Zafiris, Elias (2018). Concept and Formalization of Constellatory Self-Unfolding. Springer, Heidelberg.
- Öllinger, M., & von Müller, A. (2017). Search and coherence-building in intuition and insight problem solving. Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 827.
- von Müller, A. (2015). Humboldt 4.0. Perspektiven einer grundlegenden Erneuerung der Universität. In: Nova Acta Leopoldina, Band 121, Nummer 407.
- von Müller, A. (2015). The Forgotten Present. In: Re-thinking Time at the Interface of Physics and Philosophy von Müller, A. and T. Filk (eds.), Heidelberg.
- Filk. T & von Müller, A. (2010): A Categorical Framework for Quantum Theory. Annalen der Physik, 522, 783-801.