ZiF Research Group
Cognitive Behavior of Humans, Animals, and Machines:
Situation Model Perspectives
October 2019 – July 2020
Convenors: Werner Schneider (Bielefeld, GER), Helge Ritter (Bielefeld, GER)
Center for Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC), &
Institute for Cognition and Robotics (CoR-Lab), &
Neuroinformatics, Faculty of Technology,
Bielefeld University, Germany
Helge Ritter studied Physics at the University of Heidelberg, Germany and received his PhD in Physics from the TU Munich, Germany in 1988. It followed research stays at the Helsinki University of Technology, Finland and the University of Illinois, USA. In 1990, he became an associate professor of computer science and in 1993 a full professor for Neuroinformatics at the Faculty of Technology at Bielefeld University, Germany. From 1993-1994, he co-organized the research group "Prerational Intelligence" at the ZiF. In 2001, he was awarded the Leibniz Prize of the DFG. He is a member of the Scientific Advisory Council of the ZiF, the Faculty of the Parmenides Foundation, the Scientific Advisory Board of the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, the NRW Academy of Sciences, and the German National Academy of Science and Engineering. He is the founding member and director of the CoR-Lab, and the coordinator of the CITEC.
Current Main Research Interests
Helge Ritter's main interests are principles of neural computation and, in particular, self-organising and learning systems, and their application to robot control, manual intelligence, machine vision, data analysis and interactive human-machine interfaces. He has authored or co-authored numerous papers in these fields, has served on many organisation committees of national and international conferences, academic organizations, review panels and advisory boards.
Five selected publications with particular relevance to the Research Group
- Li, Q., Ückermann, A., Haschke, R., & Ritter, H. (2018). Estimating an Articulated Tool's Kinematics via Visuo-Tactile Based Robotic Interactive Manipulation. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 6938-6944.
- Fleer, S., & Ritter, H. (2018). Skill transfer for mediated interaction learning. IEEE-RAS 18th International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), 1-8.
- Moringen, A., Krieger, K., Haschke, R., & Ritter, H. (2017). Haptic search for complex 3d shapes subject to geometric transformations or partial occlusion. IEEE World Haptics Conference (WHC), 299-304.
- Finke, A., & Ritter, H. (2016). Discriminating Object from Non-object Perception in a Visual Search Task by Joint Analysis of Neural and Eyetracking Data. International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP), 546-554. Springer, Cham.
- Li, Q., Haschke, R., & Ritter, H. (2015). Towards body schema learning using training data acquired by continuous self-touch. IEEE-RAS 15th International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), 1109-1114.