ZiF Research Group
Cognitive Behavior of Humans, Animals, and Machines:
Situation Model Perspectives
October 2019 – July 2020
Convenors: Werner Schneider (Bielefeld, GER), Helge Ritter (Bielefeld, GER)
Oliver Brock is the Alexander-von-Humboldt Professor of Robotics in the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Technische Universität Berlin in Germany. He received his Ph.D. from Stanford University in the year 2000 and held post-doctoral positions at Rice University and Stanford University. He was an Assistant Professor and Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, before to moving back to the Technische Universität Berlin in 2009. He is an IEEE Fellow and was president of the Robotics: Science and Systems Foundation from 2012 until 2019.
Current Main Research Interests
The research of Brock's lab, the Robotics and Biology Laboratory, focuses on robot intelligence, mobile manipulation, interactive perception, grasping, manipulation, soft material robotics, interactive machine learning, deep learning, motion generation, and the application of algorithms and concepts from robotics to computational problems in structural molecular biology.
Five selected publications with particular relevance to the Research Group
- Eppner, C., Höfer, S., Jonschkowski, R., Martín-Martín, R., Sieverling, A., Wall, V., & Brock, O. (2018). Four aspects of building robotic systems: lessons from the Amazon Picking Challenge 2015. Autonomous Robots, 42, 1459-1475.
- Höfer, S., Raisch, J., Toussaint, M., & Brock, O. (2018). No free lunch in ball catching: A comparison of Cartesian and angular representations for control. PloS one, 13, e0197803.
- Sünderhauf, N., Brock, O., Scheirer, W., Hadsell, R., Fox, D., Leitner, J., Upcroft, B., Abbeel, P., Burgard, W., Milford, M., & Corke, P. (2018). The limits and potentials of deep learning for robotics. The International Journal of Robotics Research, 37, 405-420.
- Baum, M., Bernstein, M., Martin-Martin, R., Höfer, S., Kulick, J., Toussaint, M., Kacelnik, A., & Brock, O. (2017). Opening a lockbox through physical exploration. IEEE-RAS 17th International Conference on Humanoid Robotics (Humanoids), 461-467.
- Bohg, J., Hausman, K., Sankaran, B., Brock, O., Kragic, D., Schaal, S., & Sukhatme, G. S. (2017). Interactive perception: Leveraging action in perception and perception in action. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 33, 1273-1291.