ZiF Research Group
Global Contestations of Women's and Gender Rights
October 2020 – July 2021
Convenors: Alexandra Scheele (Bielefeld, GER), Julia Roth (Bielefeld, GER), Heidemarie Winkel (Bielefeld, GER)
Martina Sproll is a Professor of Social Sciences (Structural change and the Welfare State in international perspectives), at the Berlin School of Economics and Law (HWR Berlin) since 2016. She is currently Academic Director of the International Master "Labour Policies and Globalisation" at HWR Berlin and member of the Steering Committee of the Global Labour University.
From 1984-1993 she worked as an electronics technician in a German Steel Company and was engaged as a worker's representative and labour activist before studying Sociology at the Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe-Universität in Frankfurt am Main (Germany) and the Federal University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte (Brazil). She holds a doctoral degree of the JWG-University Frankfurt am Main. From 2000-2008 she was a researcher at the Frankfurt Institute of Social Research (on production regimes in the international electronics industry). From 2009-2013 she was a Postdoctoral researcher at the Philips-University Marburg (gender politics in the pharmaceutical and biotech-industry) and in an international research network on interdependent inequalities in Latin America (desiguALdades.net). From 2013-2016 she was a Lecturer at the Institute for Latin American Studies at FU Berlin.
Current Main Research Interests
Her main research fields include Transnational Production and Labour, Gender Relations, Social inequalities/Intersectionality, Political Economy and Sociology of Latin America, Migration and Post-Democracy in Europe. More recent projects focus on the digitisation of work, particularly crowd work as a new digital model of production. She is especially interested in the link between work organisation/control on the one hand and effects for social reproduction and (gendered) inequality on the other hand.
Five selected publications with particular relevance to the Research Group
- Höhne, T., Sproll, M. (forthcoming 2020): Devaluation of cultural capital on online-platforms and the changing shape of the social space, in: Work Organisation, Labour and Globalisation, Special Issue: "The algorithm and the city".
- Sproll, M. (2016): Missing Links in Service Value Chain Analysis – Space, Identity and Inequality in Brazilian Call Centres, in: Flecker, Jörg (ed.): "Space, Place and Global Digital Work", London: Palgrave, pp. 105-125.
- Sproll, M. (2014): "Precarisation and new class formations. The case of call centers in the Brazilian banking sector", in: Sproll, M./Wehr, I. (eds.): Capitalist Peripheries: Perspectives on Precarisation from the Global South and North, Special Issue, Austrian Journal for Development Studies (JEP), Vol. 30, No. 4/2014, Wien, pp. 111-132.
- Lüthje, B., Hürtgen S., Pawlicki, P., Sproll, M. (2013): "From Silicon Valley to Shenzhen. Global Production and Work in the IT-Industry", Lanham MD.: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Funder, M., Sproll, M. (2012): „Symbolische Gewalt und Leistungsregime. Geschlechterungleichheit in der betrieblichen Arbeitspolitik“, Münster: Westfälisches Dampfboot.