Workshops, guest lectures and conferences organized by CIAS.
"Buscándo Diálogo. 50 Jahre Lateinamerikastudien an der Universität Bielefeld", Offkino Bielefeld, Jul 13th, 2019, 6 pm. (Further information)
"Bielefeld - for future? Aufbruch für eine Welt im Wandel", Tuesday, Jul 2nd, 5 to 8 pm, WissensWerkStadt, Wilhelmstr. 3. (Program)
Events in June
- Congress Weingarten: "¿Latinoamérica y paz: nuevas propuestas sobre la paz y la violencia", Jun 28th to 30th, 2019. For the program see here and for inscription see following link.
- Conference: "Entanglements Between Peace and Violence: New Interdisciplinary Approaches / Entrelazamientos entre paz y violencia: nuevos planteamientos interdisciplinarios", ZiF (Bielefeld), Jun 24th and 25th, 2019. (Program)
The colonial heritage and its renewed aftermaths ? expressed in the inter-American experiences of slavery, indigeneity, dependence, and freedom movements, to mention only a few aspects ? form a common ground of experience in the Western Hemisphere. The flow of peoples, goods, knowledge and finances have promoted interdependence and integration that cut across borders and link the countries of North and South America together. The nature of this transversally related and multiply interconnected region can only be captured through a transnational, multidisciplinary, and comprehensive approach.
The Routledge Handbook to the History and Society of the Americas explores the history and society of the Americas, placing particular emphasis on collective and intertwined experiences. It covers a range of concepts and dynamics in the Americas:
- The shared histories and dynamics of Inter-American relationships are considered through pre-Hispanic empires, colonization, European hegemony, migration, multiculturalism, and political and economic interdependences.
- Key concepts are selected and explored from different geopolitical, disciplinary, and epistemological perspectives.
- Highlighting the contested character of key concepts that are usually defined in strict disciplinary terms, the Handbook provides the basis for a better and deeper understanding of inter-American entanglements.
For further information please click here.
Sonic Politics: Music and Social Movements in the Americas
The anthology Sonic Politics: Music and Social Movements in the Americas , edited by Olaf Kaltmeier and Wilfried Raussert, will be published in June 2019.
This publication is accompanied by a web page and a YouTube channel with playlists created for the individual chapters, where corresponding songs and artists can be found. These special addition provides the opportunity to listen to the songs at hand, while reading the essays, thus making the topic acoustically more "tangible". This adds a musically refreshing note to the intellectual content of the essays.
Please forward this message if you like the music channel!