Information on the Placement Test
If you have any knowledge of the languages
and want to do a language course at the FSZ for the first time , you need to take a placement test to establish your skill level and help you find the right course for you.
Only if you have no previous knowledge at all in the language you want to learn, you can enrol in a course at level A1 without taking the C-Test.
If you have already attended one of our English courses and would like to take a B2 or C1 course, the following new regulation will apply beginning with winter semester 2019/2020:
English Level Tests:
In order to move from level B1 to B2 or level B2 to C1 English, you must pass an English Level Exam.
These exams will be administered during the last week of the summer semester, and will cover all four language skills (reading, speaking, listening, and writing).
All passing students will receive a certificate stating their level and will be able to proceed to the next level.
The exams are open to all students who take a B1 or B2 course at the FSZ.
Level Tests for A1, A2, and C1 levels are planned for Summer 2020.
You can register for the exam here.
Registration closes one week before the exam.
Moreover the test is offered for a optional self-evaluation in the following languages:
- What does the placement test look like? show
- When are the next test dates? show
- Can I skip the C-test if I have an Official Language Certificate? show
- I am studying Romance languages and literature (teacher-traning course/scientific course) - Do I have to take the placement test although I can prove my level? show
The C-Test can be done once every semester per language and remains valid for three semesters.
Therefore, generally dates in two test-phases are offered.
1. At the end of the lecture period during the ”Bedarfserhebung” / after the courses of the coming semester are published on the ekvv (usually mid-January/mid-June)
2. During the semester break right BEFORE the allocation of places (usually from mid-February until beginning of march/ mid-August until beginning of September)
The dates will be announced here soon.
Additionally, You can try the Demo-Version to get a feel for the test.
For the demo version of the test no registration is needed. Just click on „Demo“ in the top left corner and then choose „weiter“ without changing the already filled out login information.
What points are needed for different levels and courses?
C-test Point Table for All Languages
For those who want to take a quick test to see at which level around you are, we recommend the quick language tests for English, German, French, Italian and Spanish at http://www.sprachtest.de or http://www.turkishlanguagecenter.com for Turkish.
These tests are not sufficiant for us. The reasons are: Tests basically only give you approximate values. So that they don't completely lose their meaning, factors of time and spontaneity play an important role.