Welcome to the Department of Sports Science
The Department of Sports Science addresses the manifold manifestations of movement, play, and sports in its research and educational activities. It is here that basic questions pertaining to the fields of natural science, social science, and the humanities are focused on, with the goal of arriving at a better understanding of these issues, solving practical problems, consulting individuals and panels involved, and generating scientific findings for neighbouring fields of expertise.
In conjunction with the Department of Psychology, the Department of Sports Science forms the Faculty of Psychology and Sports Science. In terms of its internal structure, the Department of Sports Science is oriented towards networking the most different scientific and methological approaches and comprises the following areas:
- Area I: Sports medicine - health and training (Director: N.N.)
- Area II: Neurocognition and movement - biomechanics (Director: Prof. Dr. T. Schack)
- Area III: Sports and society (Director: PD Dr. Pamela Wicker)
- Area IV: Sports and education (Directors: Prof. Dr. B. Gröben & Prof. Dr. V. Kastrup)
- Area V: Sports and economics (Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Deutscher)
At this time, there are six professors - male and female - that are involved in research and teaching and assisted by a staff of 18 scientific and pedagogical fellows. Currently, the Department's total number of students exceeds 700. With the start of WS 2011/12, several degree programmes and degree profiles will be offered.
The Neurocognition and Action research group (Area II) is part of the Cluster of Excellence in Cognitive Interaction Technology CITEC (EXC 277) and Bielefeld University's Faculty of Psychology and Sports Science.