The aims of the Centre for Statistics are diverse and relate to teaching, research and administration. Firstly, the faculties will coordinate courses in the area of statistics and design them efficiently. In addition to that, the initiative will encourage the promotion of the central role of statistics and will, for example, offer courses aimed at doctoral students of all disciplines, to bring them nearer to statistics as a key competence. Beside the Master´s degree a PHD programme in "Statistical Science" is also planned, the content of which will be based at the Centre for Statistics. The following is a summary of the aims of the Centre for Statistics:
- Collaboration and organisational network for researchers working with methodical, empirical and statistical approaches based at Bielefeld University, taking the form of a competence cluster.
- Coordination around issues of teaching and research. Creating a course programme for students and researchers of all disciplines who work using empirical methods.
- Development of a Doctoral programme in Statistical Science.
- Statistical advice for researchers and students of Bielefeld University in collaboration with the StatBeCe (Statistical Consulting Service) and the Methods Lab, which advises psychologists on statistical and methodological issues.
- External consultation service on data-analysis, in the form of (commercial) orders from industry, public bodies or other institutions.
- Support of processes within the University where statistics has a bearing.