BRiDGE II - Bridge for Researchers in Danger Going to Europe Step II
About the Project
BRiDGE II is a project funded under the Horizon 2020 call SwafS-6-2018: Science4Refugees-Support to highly skilled refugee scientists. BRiDGE is a two year project that started on December 1st, 2018
BRiDGE II gives an all-in-one solution for the localized guidance of refugee researchers (RRs) in the European Research Area (ERA) and enables the 40 EURAXESS country members in the ERA to identify and utilize the potential of RRs across Europe.
|BRiDGE II for refugee researchers at a glance|
|Support the long-term careers of 300 highly skilled refugee researchers and their integration into the labour markets of the European Union member states and its associated countries. It provides high quality guidance, mentoring and training for refugee researchers, especially postdocs and professors displaced for more than two years in Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Sweden.|
|Providing 300 career case plans, activating and supporting 190 academic and 90 industrial mentors, along with EURAXESS network members.|
|Launching of four peer groups and provides 45 internships/months for refugee researchers. The project trains and involves additional EURAXESS staff members across the European Research Area and provides course materials, guidelines and tools for further public use.|
|Support dual career and gender equality measures, by introducing a quota and piloting a dual career study for refugee researchers.|
Procedures and criteria to identify and recruit participants
- Priority is given to all asylum granted researchers in Europe and Horizon2020 eligible countries are eligible to participate in the project, and profit especially from the matching with academic and non-academic mentors, the trainings, the career development measures and the networks, provided that these RR have an affiliation (a mentorship, a position, a fellowship, a project collaboration) with a research institution, higher education institution, company or other relevant entity will be eligible in participating in BRiDGE II. No further selection criteria will be applicable.
- Gender quota will be applied (50/50 men/women) in mentoring, training, internship and networking measures and events.
- All career stages (R1-R4) of refugee researchers are eligible, priority though will be given to R3-R4 refugee researchers
- For the recruitment and identification of participants the beneficiaries use their established network in the refugee researchers' community of their countries and collaborate in a wide network of experts and NGOs, recruiting refugee researchers in network events, through mouth-to-mouth propaganda, excellent and committed academic mentors, Science4Refugees, newsletters, mailing-lists, social media.
Impact of BRiDGE II
- The project facilitates the efforts of the European Union to help RRs settle into their host country of residence and prepare RR for the highly competitive and highly skilled EU job market.
- The project outcomes will contribute to increasing RRs employability and making use of the EURAXESS Portal. The knowledge and experience to be gained, the methodologies to be developed will enable the future integration of RRs in the European Societies.
BRiDGE II Work PlanBRiDGE II is structured in 5 interrelated work packages (WP):
- WP1 Ethics and Data Protection focused on Ethics and data protection in line with national and European rules and laws on data protection.
- WP2 Career Planning, Mentoring and Building Networks emphasizes the guidance of 300 Refugee Researchers, who are already affiliated with higher and research institutions in Europe, on their path to a future career in and outside academia.
- WP3 Career Development Courses and Trainings which is the base for the implementation of other WPs, adjusting course materials and conducting trainings and materials for the integration of RRs in the European job market (in and outside academia), by obtaining key career and labour market relevant skills and knowledge;
- WP4 Dissemination and Outreach with the scope to establish a comprehensive, consistent and sustainable dissemination strategy for the project which will enhance the impact of the co-generated project activities for all target audiences, especially for RRs and EURAXESS members.
- WP5 Project Management and Quality Assurance devoted to the coordination, monitoring and reporting on the projects progress.
You can download the BRiDGE Step II Leaflet here.