The Italian Left and the German Democratic Republic. Trans-local contacts, entangled views and reciprocal imaginations during the Cold War (1960s-1970s)
In my dissertation, I am inquiring into networks, flows of ideas and mutual influences between the Italian Left and the German Democratic Republic on the local level in the 1960s and 1970s. At the core of the research are the practices of town twinning between Italian, left-oriented (mainly communist) local administrations and Eastern German ones.
Twinnings are investigated both in their implications in terms of technical-administrative, transnational knowledge transmission, especially with regard to local welfare politics informed by communist beliefs and in their role in the construction of micro sociability structures through the sending of delegations of left-wing militants, labor unionists, administrators, teachers, students, etc.
Through research in communal archives of both countries and oral interviews of former delegates and organizers of the twinnings, I seek to understand how and to what extent this kind of trans-local communication operated and had an impact on Italian and Eastern German local politics, and to reconstruct entangled views and reciprocal imaginations between local actors involved in the exchanges.Fields of interest:
History of the Cold War; History of international Communism; Aspects of political and social culture in post-1945 Italy and Germany; administrative history; oral history; transnational history.
- November 2015-2019
- Ph.D., University of Bologna and University of Bielefeld (cotutelle)
- Member of Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology (BGHS)
- First supervisor: Prof. Dr. Paolo Capuzzo (Bologna); Second supervisor: Prof. Dr. Thomas Welskopp (Bielefeld)
- March 2015-July 2015
- Start-up fellow, Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology (BGHS)
- Master of Arts in History, University of Bologna
- MA thesis: East Berlin, June 17th, 1953. The view of the Italian Left on the workers? uprising in the German Democratic Republic
- Study abroad, ERASMUS at Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
- Bachelor of Arts in History, University of Bologna
- Fondazione Gramsci, Bologna
- Member of a research group working on the history of the Italian Communist Party in the Emilia-Romagna region. Involved in the creation of an archive of audio-visual oral testimonies about forms of communist militance in Bologna in the 1960s and 1970s.
- Istituto storico della Resistenza e dell'età contemporanea, Parma
- Researcher, teacher and responsible for didactic projects in local and regional history
- E-review, Online journal of the network of Historical Institutes for Resistance in the Emilia-Romagna region, http://e-review.it/
- Newsroom member and contributor
- 2009 - 2015
- Radio Tv Parma; Gazzetta di Parma; Radio Città Fujiko (Bologna)
- Siscalt, Società italiana per la storia contemporanea dell'Area di lingua tedesca
- Professional Association of Italian Journalists