• Welcome Centre

    Informationen für Doktorandinnen, Doktoranden, Postdocs und Professorinnen und Professoren

    © Universität Bielefeld

Bringing your Family


Welcome Centre

Help Desk
Monday til Friday:

Room: C5-133

Universität Bielefeld
Welcome Centre
Universitätstraße 25
33615 Bielefeld

Tel.: 0521 106 12186
Fax: 0521 106 154880

Our Team

Welcome-Centre Flyer


Online Registration

Online Registration

If your spouse and family members accompany you to Bielefeld, they also have to go through a set of formalities, such as applying for a visa. Please take care of a visa for your family as early as possible.

German migration and residence laws grant international scholars the fundamental right to bring their spouses and children with them. However, if you are a citizen of a country that does not belong to the EU or the EEA, you must provide proof that there is sufficient living space for them in Germany and that the family is financially self-supporting. This generally requires written confirmation from the host university or institute in Germany.

For family members accompanying you or intending to join you later, you will require:


  • for your husband or wife: your original marriage certificate with a certified German translation unless the original is an international document
  • for your children: the original birth certificate with a certified German translation unless the original is an international document
  • a copy of the letter confirming your scholarship or work contract


If members of your family accompany you to Germany or join you later, they should bring certified translations of their marriage and birth certificates of confirmable authenticity. They will need these in order to convert visas into long-term residence permits in Germany.

The German foreigner's office (Ausländerbehörde) will check and decide if your spouse will get the permission to work. If you have a concrete proposal, you will need to prove the offer and submit a description.

You can obtain up-to-date and detailed information on this from the Employment Office (Agentur für Arbeit), the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) at your place of residence in Germany, and under: