Dr. Vera Leberecht | 06th & 07th of Febuary 2020
Thur, 06-02-2020 from 10:00 (s.t.) a.m. to 05:00 p.m. | Fri, 07-02-2020 from 9:30 (s.t.) a.m. to 04:30 p.m.
This workshop supports PhD students and young researchers in the humanities and social sciences (Faculties of Educational Science, History and Philosophy and Theology, Linguistics and Literary Studies, Sociology) in areas that are challenging or difficult for many young researchers who need to produce professional texts in English. Individual and group exercises, discussions, and trainer input help participants to reflect on their own approaches to writing, their problems and possible problem solving strategies. Participants get to know techniques and strategies that may be transferred to their current writing projects immediately and that facilitate more effective, efficient, and successful professional writing.
The two-day, hands-on workshop covers the following topics:
- a professional approach to the process of academic writing;
- useful techniques for getting started, and finding and organising ideas;
- useful vocabulary for presenting ideas and arguments by other authors;
- organising and presenting information in a comprehensive and reader-friendly way;
- language matters: avoiding typical problems in formal written English;
- dealing effectively with collaborative writing projects;
- giving and receiving constructive text feedback;
- academic writing in English: useful resources.
In addition, other topics may be discussed, according to the needs and wishes of the participants.
Dr. Vera Leberecht (Maastricht/NL) studied Linguistics, Intercultural Communication, and Theology in Germany and Finland; received additional training as a trainer for professional writing; worked as head of the English section of the Language Centre at Maastricht University for several years; works as a trainer for writing and other work that makes sense, in academia and beyond.
The workshop is conducted in English.
This workshop is offered by the Writing Lab (Schreiblabor) of Bielefeld University.
Please make your registration until 19-01-2020.
If you are a PhD student or young researcher in the technical, natural, or life sciences (Faculties of Biology, Chemistry, Health Science, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology and Sports Science, Technology), please make your registration for the workshop Scientific Writing.