Eike von Savigny
Eike von Savigny
Area of Specialization
Formerly, my research was primarily in Metaethics, Philosophy of the Humanities, Philosophical Methodology and History of Epistemology. My current research is in the areas of Philosophy of Language and Wittgenstein.
I also have a special interest in imparting study techniques and widely applicable competences to my students.
I was born on Feb. 10, 1941, in Berlin. After completing my pre-university studies, I entered Universität München in the summer semester of 1960 and began studying Law. From the winter semester of 1960-1961, however, I studied Philosophy, Old German Linguistics and Literature and Ancient History, spending the winter semester 1961-1962 in Besançon/Doubs. In the summer semester of 1965, I completed my Ph.D. with a dissertation entitled Der empirische Charakter des deutschen Strafrechts, which I revised for publication in 1967. In the summer semester of 1970, I received my ‘Habilitation’ from Universität München as the final phase of my post-doctorate studies.
I was married in 1965 and have two children (1966 and 1968).
I was named substitute research assistant in 1964, research assistant in September, 1967. In the summer semester of 1971, I was named Universitätsdozent, Universität München. In the winter semester of 1972, I taught Logic and Philosophy of Science as a Visiting Professor at Universität Trier and held the same position at Universität Salzburg in the summer semester of 1975, teaching Philosophy and Linguistics. In the winter semester of 1975-1976, I was a Guest Lecturer on Logic and Philosophy of Science at Universität Klagenfurt. In the academic year 1976-7, I acted as Interim Chair at Universität Bielefeld and was named Associate Professor at Universität München in November of 1976. One year later, in November of 1977, I was named chair at Universität Bielefeld.
From 1970-75 I was a member of the Munich University Planning Committee; from 1981-84, a member of the Bielefeld Universität Senate, and from 1982-83 I was Dean of the History and Philosophy Faculty at Universität Bielefeld. From 1973-79 I was a member of the Senate of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Federal Research Foundation). From 1975-80 I was a member of the German Wissenschaftsrat (Federal Board of Advisors on Academic Affairs) (and was acting as Deputy Chair of its Academic Committee and Member of the Presidential Committee from 1978-80).
From October 1988 until July 1989, I was a Fellow of the Institute for Advanced Study in Berlin.
I am acting as a member of the Editorial Board of Erkenntnis. I was also a member of the Independent Committees reviewing research on "Philosophy of Science" and "Cognition and the Brain" for the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (research which has now been concluded). I was a permanent referee for the German Academic Exchange Service from 1997-1999, elected referee for the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft for Systematic Philosophy from 1992-2000, and Chairman of the Committee for Systematic Philosophy from 1996-2000.
- Die Überprüfbarkeit der Strafrechtssätze, 1967
- Philosophie und normale Sprache (ed.), 1969
- Die Philosophie der normalen Sprache, 1969 (3rd edition 1993)
- Analytische Philosophie, 1970; spanish translation 1974
- Grundkurs im wissenschaftlichen Definieren, 1970 (5th edition 1980)
- Fachsprache - Umgangssprache (co-ed.), 1975
- Grundkurs im logischen Schließen, 1976 (3rd edition 1993)
- Argumentation in der Literaturwissenschaft, 1976
- Juristische Dogmatik und Wissenschaftstheorie (co-author), 1976
- Probleme der sprachlichen Bedeutung (ed.), 1976
- Die Signalsprache der Autofahrer, 1980
- Zum Begriff der Sprache, 1983
- The Social Foundations of Meaning, 1988
- Wittgensteins "Philosophische Untersuchungen", Running commentary in 2 vols., 1988/89 (2nd edition 1994/96)
- Wittgenstein über die Seele (co-ed.), 1995
- Der Mensch als Mitmensch, 1996
- Einführung in die Analytische Philosophie (co-author), 1996
- Wittgenstein: Philosophische Untersuchungen (ed.),1998
- (Ed. with Theodore R. Schatzki and Karin Knorr-Cetina) The Practice Turn in Contemporary Theory. London/New York (Routledge) 2001.
- (Ed. as a co-operator, together with Georg Henrik von Wright and Heikki Nyman, of Joachim Schulte) Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophische Untersuchungen, Kritisch-genetische Edition, Frankfurt a. M. (Suhrkamp) 2001.
- Recent articles have concentrated on Wittgenstein’s later philosophy.