skip to main contentskip to main menuskip to footer Universität Bielefeld Play Search
  • Studium

    © Bielefeld University

Further information on Study and Internships Abroad

Switch to main content of the section

Events & Deadlines

Erasmus+ Office Hours

At the moment we are offering online office hours. Please contact us to make an appointment by mail to

All courses for the upcoming semester are also available online in the eKVV. You can find an overview of courses in English HERE.


Do you got any questions?
We would like to help you.


Besides the Erasmus+ Programme, there are several other opportunities to organise a stay abroad to study or complete an internship. The information provided on this page may be useful when you are organising and financing your stay abroad. For individual consultation you can make an appointment in the International Office.

Studying Abroad

Studies or internships abroad may be organized with a cooperation programme or independently as a "free mover". There are cooperations only in the framework of the Erasmus+ Programme (including the International Dimension programme), and the Go East Programme for study and research exchanges in St. Petersburg within the Faculty of Sociology.

If you wish to organise your stay as a "freemover" at a university abroad, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provides information on its homepage (in German) about studying in any country of the world. You might find this link useful if you want to personally organise your stay abroad outside any existing bilateral exchange agreements. At Bielefeld University, the International Office guides and supports you while planning a stay abroad.

The Faculty of Sociology can also recognize study performances during independently organized stays after the stay has been completed. Information about the recognition procedure and the corresponding forms are available for download here (in German).

Completing Internships Abroad


An internship abroad may also be a viable alternative to a study period abroad. The International Office of Bielefeld University may guide you to organise an Erasmus+ internship.

In addition, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) (in German) provides information on internships abroad. Here you may find institutions where you can realize internships abroad. The brochure “Wege ins Auslandspraktikum”, published by the DAAD together with other national organizations, may give you further ideas. The homepage of the German job center (in German) also informs about working and applying to international organizations.

There are also organisations which can help you to find international internships. One such organisation is AIESEC, a student-run international organisation with local chapters in various German cities. AIESEC Bielefeld has connections all over the world and can assist you in finding an internship abroad. (AIESEC charges a fee for its services and membership is compulsory.)

Financing Your Stay Abroad

The International Office announces scholarships and invites applications to realise exchanges in countries that do not participate in the Erasmus+ programme. Please note that you will have to organise your stay on your own; the programme only provides funding for your project. You may apply for scholarships for studying abroad, international internships or international research projects at the International Office at Bielefeld University. You may also apply for funding, for a variety of other projects, such as language courses and summer schools abroad, at the Rectorate of Bielefeld University and the Westfälisch-Lippische Universitätsgesellschaft. You can find an overview of the scholarship and financing opportunities  offered by the International Office in the section "Outgoing".

DAAD also has a database of scholarship opportunities (in German)  for stays abroad of various purposes (e.g., research, internships, language courses), where you can search for scholarships according to your field of study, country and status.

If you would like to study in the USA, you can apply for a scholarship from the Fulbright Program.


back to top