This statute is drawn up in German; the English translation is provided for convenience only. Only the German version is legally binding:
as amended on 3 December 2007 (Bielefeld University Gazette - Official Announcements - year 36 no. 23 p. 259), last amended by the Second Regulation for the Amendment of the fee rules of the Bielefeld university library of 15 February 2013 (Bielefeld University Gazette - Official Announcements - year 42 no. 4 p. 84); enacted based on §§ 2(4), 29(4) of the Higher Education Act (Gesetz über die Hochschulen; HG) of North Rhine-Westphalia of 31 October 2006 (GV. NRW. p. 474), last amended by Act of 18 December 2012 (GV. NRW. p. 672) and based on §§ 1, 19 of the Act on the Collection of University Fees (Gesetz zur Erhebung von Hochschulabgaben) of 21 March 2006 (GV NRW p. 119), last amended by Article 1 of the Act of 1 March 2011 (GV. NRW. p. 165) in conjunction with. § 2(1) of the Ordinance on the Levying of University Fees (Verordnung über die Erhebung von Hochschulabgaben) of 6 April 2006 (GV. NRW. p. 157), last amended by the Ordinance of 1 October 2011 (GV. NRW. 2011 p. 494).
The wording of these fee rules is consistent with the wording published in the Bielefeld University Gazette which shall be solely binding.
§ 1 General
(1) Fees, costs, and expenses shall be charged for administrative activities and types of use in accordance with these fee rules and the relevant provisions under the laws covering universities and fees of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia as amended from time to time. The fee and contribution statutes of the Bielefeld University as amended shall not be affected by this.
(2) The costs for any other services provided by the library upon special request within the scope of its task and options shall be determined and charged based on the expenses incurred. The director of the library shall have the right to establish hourly flat rates; such rates shall be posted.
(3) Every individual volume or work that can be borrowed or used as a physical unit shall be a media unit within the meaning of these fee rules.
§ 2 Exceeding the loan period
The fee to be charged per media unit for exceeding the loan period shall be due upon exceeding the loan period; a reminder from the library shall not be required. The late fees for exceeding the loan period shall be, per media unit:
§ 3 Non-return of media units, compensation for damages
(1) If the loan period is exceeded by more than 30 calendar days, the library shall issue an immediately enforceable return order and initiate administrative enforcement proceedings for return of the media unit.
(2) If the enforcement remains unsuccessful, the media unit shall be considered lost, and the user shall be liable for damages in addition to the late fees. In addition to this, an administrative fee of 25.00 euros per media unit shall be charged.
(3) If the administrative enforcement procedure appears inexpedient or does not promise any success, the library shall have the right to consider the loaned work lost and to charge damages and an administrative fee of 25.00 euros per media unit in addition to the late fees following expiration of a period of at least another 10 days set for the user.
(4) In any other cases of loss or damage, the library shall charge an administrative fee of 25.00 euros per media unit in addition to any late fees and the costs for repair, replacement, or value replacement.
(5) Late fees shall be charged only up to the time at which loss of a media unit is reported. In this case, the further procedure shall be subject to paragraph (4). If the media unit is returned nevertheless, the library may waive any further action under paragraph (4) and charge the late fees under § 2 instead for the entire time by which the loan period was exceeded.
(6) The administrative fees shall be charged to compensate for the administrative expenses incurred in processing of the claim and for recovery. At the same time, they constitute a compensation for benefits for use of the library, which is otherwise free of charge.
§ 4 Inter-library loan
The library charges a fee of 1.50 euros per order, regardless of its success, for inter-library loan orders. Costs and fees that may be charged by the borrowing library, as well as those incurred by special forms of mailing or value insurance, shall be reimbursed in addition to this.
§ 5 Fees for the library card
(1) The library shall charge a fee of 10.00 euros for issuing of a library card in accordance with § 3a(4) of the Library Rules of the university library.
(2) The library shall charge a fee of 10.00 euros for issuing of a secondary library card in accordance with § 3a(3) and (4) of the Library Rules of the university library.
(3) These fees serve to reimburse expenses and to compensate for administrative effort. At the same time, they constitute a compensation for benefits for use of the library, which is otherwise free of charge. The fee and contribution statutes of the Bielefeld University as amended shall not be affected by this.
§ 6 Reproductions
Fees for photographic and reproduction work shall be charged per photograph, page, or copy, as determined by the director of the library and announced by posted notice. The calculation shall be based on the respective material and labour costs for the photography and reproduction work.
§ 7 Determination of address
The respective user shall reimburse any costs charged to the library for determining the addresses of such users.
§ 8 Postage and reimbursement of expenses
Expenses for postage, value insurance, remote data transmission, and similar special services shall be reimbursed by the respective user.
§ 9 Lockers
A deposit of 2.00 euros per use shall be charged for use of the suitcase and bag lockers in the library’s entrance area. An additional fee of 2.00 euros per use shall be charged for use of the suitcase lockers to cover expenses and guide behaviour. Use shall be the time from taking the locker into use to the regular emptying of the lockers. The deposit of 2.00 euros shall be retained as a fee for covering the costs of the opening of a locker at the user’s request as well as for the emptying of the locker at the end of the period of use and, if applicable, for safekeeping of any removed items. If a key is lost or not returned, any expenses incurred for replacement of the lock shall be reimbursed. Further details are stipulated in separate usage rules.
§ 10 Due dates
Fees, costs, and expenses shall fall due when a written demand for payment is issued or, if such a demand is not issued, upon provision of the service or performance of the administrative act, except of these fee rules specify any different time.
§ 11 Reduction and waiver of fees and costs
Any fees incurred may be reduced or waived upon application in exceptional cases if their collection would cause particular hardship in the individual case.
§ 12 Entering into effect
These fee rules shall be announced in the Bielefeld University Gazette - Official Announcements. They shall enter into effect on the day following their announcement.