LitKom as part of the programme "richtig einsteigen." develops and implements concepts for writing intensive teaching in the first academic year. Students at Bielefeld University are thus prepared for university demands and lay the foundation for a successful course of study.
LitKom has set itself the goal of familiarising first-year students with the literal skills relevant to their subject and of anchoring corresponding learning opportunities in regular courses. To this end, our staff members work closely with faculty staff. With the help of reading and writing activities tailored to the objectives of the course, students learn to overcome initial hurdles, to develop own skills in dealing with scientific texts and to engage in greater depth with teaching content.
18 employees in 13 participating faculties and two coordinators form the LitKom project group. Together, we develop concepts for writing-intensive teaching.
LitKom offers a variety of advisory services tailored to the diverse needs of students and teaching staff. Through the individual interlocking of teaching and writing in the faculties, students are sensitised to the role of writing in their subjects and enabled to produce their own scientific papers.
- We revise introductory courses in cooperation with the person teaching them. For example:
- We offer specialist advice for teaching staff on how to integrate writing into individual teaching.
- We train student tutors in cooperation with the Peer Learning team.
- We write publications, guidelines and offer collections oftechnical writing exercises. This includes:
- We offer opportunities for discussion in order to reflect scientifically on the effects and benefits of integrating writing into academic teaching. For example, at the upcoming final conference of the LitKom project (26./27.03.2020).
- We design learning materials:
- Our faculty staff offer individual writing advice for students.