skip to main contentskip to main menuskip to footer Universität Bielefeld Play Search
  • Accessibility Service

    Logo der ZAB, bunte Kreise mit Schriftzug Zentrale Anlaufstelle Barrierefrei
    Campus of Bielefeld University
    © Bielefeld University

Child benefit

Switch to main content of the section

You will find all the information for the responsible Federal Employment Agency and can get advice from the family benefits office responsible for you.

Information for child benefit from the Federal Employment Agency


Initial and secondary education

For pupils who are attending school or Vocational training for the first time, entitlement to child benefit is maintained at least until they reach the age of 25.

During your initial training, you are allowed to work and earn money without any restrictions and without jeopardizing your child benefit entitlement. The income and reference limits have been abolished.

If you have not yet reached the age of 25 and want to pursue further education (e.g. a Master's degree) after your initial education (first degree or Vocational training), you may work a maximum of 20 hours per week on the side. The amount of earnings from this work is not relevant.

Even if you are waiting for a study place and this "gap" does not last longer than four months, you can continue to receive child benefits.

Leave of absence due to illness

If you are on leave of absence due to illness for more than six months, you must submit a medical certificate from an official doctor certifying that you will be able to continue your education in the foreseeable future.

Child benefit over 25

In exceptional cases, students with a disability can receive child benefits from the Family Fund beyond the age of 25.

Demonstrable prerequisite for this:

  • The staff, people are not able to support themselves due to their disability.
  • The disability itself has already occurred before the person reaches the age of 25.
  • A severely disabled person's certificate or a notice of assessment from the pension office.
  • Notice of a pension due to the disability
  • Notification of care allowance in the case of a classification in care degree 4 or 5
  • Medical certificate (if your child is of age, the medical certificate or attestation must show the effects of the disability on gainful employment)

back to top