The BGHS is dedicated to the concepts of interdisciplinary and structured doctoral training at the highest standards. Its approach to quality management consists of measures at various levels:
- The BGHS vouches for a high standard of supervision through binding supervision agreements, between doctoral researchers and their main supervisor. The School also has guidelines for the supervision of doctoral dissertations in which students can find valuable tips on supervision and for their time as doctoral researcher at the BGHS.
- Annual progress reports by doctoral students serve to reflect on the progress of the projects and to adapt the academic programme of the BGHS to the needs of the doctoral students. Final reports produced by the BGHS-Members after completing their doctorate provide a retrospective view of the entire doctoral phase.
- The BGHS membership management ensures a well-founded overview of the composition of the members and ensures a smooth flow of information.
- In the case of academic or everyday problems with life at the BGHS, doctoral researchers can get independent support from the academic liaison.
- In two voluntary evaluations (2010 and 2016), the work of the BGHS was examined and the programme was optimised on the basis of this data. In 2016, the second evaluation took place to guide the continuation of the BGHS at Bielefeld University. As part of this evaluation, surveys were conducted with doctoral researchers and supervisors. A summary of both data collections can be found in the report "Obtaining a doctorate at the BGHS. Report on the findings of the 2016 evaluation survey".