skip to main contentskip to main menuskip to footer Universität Bielefeld Play Search
  • Accessibility Services

    Logo der ZAB, bunte Kreise mit Schriftzug Zentrale Anlaufstelle Barrierefrei
    Campus of Bielefeld University
    © Bielefeld University

Additional requirements due to disability or illness

Switch to main content of the section

Students with additional needs due to disability or illness should obtain comprehensive information about funding agencies and application procedures early on and seek individual counseling.

Counseling centers:

Students with disabilities, chronic or mental illness may have to cover higher costs for general living expenses and the implementation of a study program.

Under certain conditions, those affected can therefore claim social benefits under SGB II, SGB IX or SGB XII, even in addition to BAföG benefits.

But also a cost assumption of certain additional needs, such as aids, by the health insurance is possible.

Last but not least, the health insurance company can also check whether students can be exempted from the statutory co-payment for medication or aids.

Which cost units are there?

Once you have clarified your individual needs, a distinction must be made as to what type of additional expense is involved.

Depending on the type of individual additional need, other cost units are responsible. In this context, it is important to check who is primarily responsible for the costs incurred.

Additional needs related to education include, for example, study and communication assistance required due to disabilities and studies, technical aids and support to ensure mobility, which are necessary, for example, to cope with learning and examination situations or to reach the campus.

Non-education-related additional needs are assigned to general subsistence or participation in society: e.g., disability- or illness-related additional expenses for nutrition, hygiene, housing, care, leisure activities or health care.

back to top